Music Users who play music in the course of doing business need to pay a licence fee. That means anything that is not domestic use. This includes businesses such as promoters, bars, mobile DJs, clubs, restaurants, shopping malls and matatus, hospitals, buses, shops etc. It also extends to broadcasters such as radio and TV stations who also play music publicly. 

All these rules are published in the Copyright Act and it is part of Kenyan law. If the music you play isn’t written, created, performed, published and recorded by you, then it belongs to the Music Creator and you need a licence.

KAMP helps Music producers by licensing their works and collecting licence fees from Music Users – that’s you – and these monies collected are then paid to the owners of the sound recordings as royalties. The fees differ depending on what you use the music for.